Mia, Mohammad Badruddoza, Ph.D.Asst. Professor - MIS & Coordinator - MBA & EMBA ProgramsEmail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Industry Experience: More than 15 years of industry experience in the area of Management Information Systems in national and international organizations;
Research Experience: About 7 years of research experience in national and international research organizations on different social and economic aspects; and
Teaching Experience: Teaching in the business schools of different universities in Bangladesh and United Kingdom since 2006.
PhD (2013) in Information Systems from the Open University, Milton Keynes, UK
(Full-time and On-campus)
- Thesis: ICT-based Information Systems and Organizational Change in Micro-finance Organizations
- Principal Examiner: Prof Geoff Walsham, Research Professor, Judge Business School, University of Cambridge, UK
- Supervisors: Dr. Magnus Ramage, Prof Chris Bissell and Dr. David Chapman
MSc (2002) in Information Management from AIT, Bangkok, Thailand
- Thesis: ERP and Data Warehouse for Decision Support
MCom (1986) in Management, from the University of Dhaka, Bangladesh
BCom (Honours, 1985) in Management from Dhaka College, the University of Dhaka,
- Teaching at the university level and conducting training for the professionals; and
- Managing development, implementation and evaluation of large scale Management Information Systems projects.
- Conducting research using Case Study, Survey Research, Action Research, FGD, Ethnography and Grounded Theory, and working with SPSS, LIMDEP and NVivo for statistical, econometric and qualitative data analysis;
- Academic and technical writing.
|January 2015 – Present
Assistant Professor and Coordinator
School of Business and Economics
United International University
– Computer Applications
– Management of Information Technology
| January 2014 – December 2014
– Introduction to MIS
– Computer Application for Business
– Corporate Environment Management
– Socio-Economic Profile of Bangladesh
| April 2012 – March 2013
Part-Time Faculty Member
University of Buckingham
– Business Information Systems I
– Business Information Systems II
– Introduction to Management
– Introduction to Business
| August 2006 – December 2007
Bangladesh University of Business and
– Management Information Systems
– Management Information Systems
– Decision Support Systems (ERP, Data Warehouse, ES and EIS)
– Information Systems Analysis and Design
– Research Methodology
– Strategic Management
– Organizational Behaviour
– IS for Financial Services
– IS and Organizational Development
Mia, M. B. and Ramage, M. (2014). Use and Management of Conventional ICT and Mobile
Technology in Microfinance: A Bangladesh Perspective, J. A. Ariza-Montes and A. M.
L. Casademunt (Ed.) ICT Management in Non-Profit Organizations, pp. 146-160, Loyola Andalucia University, Spain.
Mia, M. B. and Ramage, M. (2011). IT Project Management in Developing Countries:approach and factors affecting success in the microfinance sector in Bangladesh, 6th International Research Workshop on IT Project Management, ICIS 2011, December 4-7, 2011, Shanghai, China.
Mia, M. B. and Ramage, M. (2011), Overlapping and Information Systems in Microcredit: a Bangladesh perspective, Second European Research Conference on Microfinance, 16-18 June, 2011. Groningen, Netherlands,
Mia, M. B. (2005). ICT in Microfinance: A Bangladesh Perspective. In S. Mathison (Ed.) Electronic Banking with the Poor: Increasing the Outreach and Sustainability of Microfinance through IT Innovation, Federation for Development Cooperation, Brisbane, Australia.
Mia, M. B. and Esichaikul, V. (2003), ERP and Data Warehouse for Decision Support: Problem and Opportunity, 6th International Conference on Computer and Information Technology, vol. 1, pp. 447-452, Jahangirnagar University, 19-21, December 2003, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- SIRG (Society and Information Research Group) Open University, Milton Keynes, UK
- OU Alumni Association, Milton Keynes, UK
- Association of Information Systems, USA
- IT Project Management, Special Interest Group, AIS
- AIT Alumni Association, Bangkok, Thailand
- Management Net, University of Dhaka
1996 – January 2015
Management Information Systems
Proshika, Dhaka, Bangladesh
(On study leave from August 2009 to March 2013)
Proshika: A national level development organisation has been implementing social,
economic, agriculture, health and education development programmes since 1976 covering
all most all districts of the country.
- Overall responsibility of developing and implementing policy, strategy, plan and design of Management Information Systems for microfinance, agriculture, education, health programmes and functional departments of the organisation.
- Overall responsibility of managing total Information Technology of headquarters and more than 200 field offices.
1994 – 1996
Analyst Programmer/Data Analyst
IDS, University of Sussex
Research Project Office, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Project: Poverty and Well-being of Bangladesh – an academic research project that analysed
economic and social development aspects of the country using mixed-method.
- Overall responsibility of processing and analysing (statistical and econometric) data of the research project.
- Working with the research team for developing quantitative and qualitative research instruments for the project.
- Conducting training for the filed research staff on collecting, supervising and processing data at field and central levels.
1992 – 1994
WorldFish Center – CGIAR, Country Office, Dhaka, Bangladesh
WorldFish Center: One of the CGIAR (Consortium of International Agricultural Research
Centers) centres involved in fisheries and other aquaculture related biological, economic and
- Overall responsibility of processing and analysing (statistical and econometric) dataof all the research projects of the country office.
- Working with the research teams for developing research instruments for all theresearch projects.
1988 – 1992
PIACT Bangladesh, Dhaka
PIACT Bangladesh: A research-NGO working on family planning, HIV-AIDS, health and
nutrition with government and, national and international development agencies since 1980.
- Developing quantitative and qualitative research instruments for different research and evaluation projects on health, nutrition, family planning, mother and child care for different organisations such as Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Save the Children (USA), Helen Keller International and Social Marketing Company.
- Collecting research data from the field;
- Supervising data collection;
- Processing and analysing data manually and using SPSS PC+.
MAJOR RESEARCH CONSULTANCY SERVICES:
- Worked as a Research Supervisor for the UNICEF conducted Mid-Term Quality Study on PEDP III (Primary Education Development Programme III) of Bangladesh Government during March 2014.
- Worked as a Consultant for processing and analysing data collected for EIA (English in Action) project implemented by Open University, UK and BBC in different times from 2010 to 2013.
- Worked as a Consultant for the Bangladesh NFPE Mapping project of CAMPE funded by UNICEF to process and analyse data collected from all NFP programme implementers during March – June, 2008.
- Worked as a Consultant for a collaborative project of Bangladesh Government, UNICEF and Save the Children (USA) for appraising ECD programme of the country and developing an ECD Programme and Actors Database from February 2004 to January 2005.
- Worked as a Consultant for carrying out the total responsibility of processing and analysing large volume of data collected for DANIDA funded Aquaculture Extension Project (AEP) of the Department of Fisheries (DOF), Government of Bangladesh from April to August, 1994.
- Worked as a Consultant for Save the Children (USA) during March 1994 to process and analyse data gathered for Mother Care Program.
- Worked as a Consultant for Save the Children (USA) during February and March 1993 to process and analyze data gathered for Mother Care Program.
- Worked as a Consultant for ISPAN during December 1993 to analyse the survey data of Environmental Study under Flood Action Plan (FAP) – 16.
INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCES AND WORKSHOPS
- International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS) 2011 held during December 4-7, 2011 in Shanghai, China.
- Annual Meeting of GKP (Global Knowledge Partnership) held during May 08 – 10, 2006 in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Regional Consultation Meeting of GKP South Asia held during August 22-23, 2006 in New Delhi, India.
- WSIS (World Summit on the Information Society) organized by United Nations and ITU (International Telecommunication Union) during November 16 – 18, 2005 in Tunis, Tunisia.
- International workshop on Building Partnerships and Sharing Knowledge organized by GKP on November 14, 2005 in Tunis, Tunisia.
- Regional Consultation Workshop on WSIS organized by OneWorld International, APC and BFES on September 12-13, 2005 in Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Annual Meeting of GKP held during May 04 – 06, 2005 in Cairo, Egypt.
- 4th E-Learning Seminar: Market of Possibilities organized by InWent and ICT4D Collective, Royal Hallway, University of London held during November 04 – 05, 2004 in Bonn, Germany.
- GKP South Asia Regional Meeting – 2004 held on October 13, 2004 in Chennai,India.
- Annual Meeting of GKP held during May 11 – 13, 2004 in San Jose, Costa Rica.
- Asia Pacific Microcredit Summit – 2004 held during February 16 – 19, 2004 in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- WSIS organized by United Nations and ITU during December 10 – 12, 2003 in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Regional Consultation Workshop on WSIS organized by GKP and BFES on October 20, 2003 in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- ICT Enabled Development: South-South Exchange Travelling Workshop organized by Swaminathan Research Foundation from November 28 to December 5, 2003 in Tamil Nadu, India.
Country Travelled: United Kingdom, France, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Poland,Costa Rica, Egypt, Tunisia, Turkey, China, Thailand, Sri Lanka and India
1. Fully-funded PhD studentship amounting to about 100,000 GBP awarded by the Open University, Milton Keynes, United Kingdom from November 2009 to July 2013.
2. Research grant for conducting fieldwork by the UMM (University Meets Microfinance), Berlin, Germany during 2010-2011.
3. Scholarship amounting to Tk. 22,00,000 from European Union for studying MSc at AIT (Asian Institute of Technology), Bangkok, Thailand, from May 2001 to December 2003.
4. Scholarship of about 8,000 USD from AIT (Asian Institute of Technology) for studying MSc during May 2001 – December 2003.